Monday, February 16, 2009

Things Just Happen..!!

5
It’s been my general observation that at times we just keep fighting out for things trying to put in all the hard work and things just get bizarre..they just don’t happen and then there are moments when we realize what’s needed is just a l’il bit of smart work with right timing and things just happen. Many a times, we face situations where the onus is on us to take the call and at that time the only thing which differentiates the outcome is whether we take the right call or not and even if we go for the right one, what spirit we take it in..do we just lay back and expect things to happen for us or we move a step forward and make sure that things just happen. I don’t know about you all, but for most of the times in my life I was a laid-back player until recently when I started discovering with small incidences that a little effort to take a step forward at the right time makes your life much easy and if you ask me how do you know that it’s the right time to take your call, I’ll say “You just know it once you are ready to breakfree, and willing to move the unconventional way ( may be unconventional is a bit heavy word but just treat it lightly..I am just talking about small things, it’s not any rocket-science)”.
After my MBA 2nd semester exams, my internship in Tata Motors was about to commence from 19th Feb, 2009, and I got the confirmation of the same on 12th Feb at 4.00 p.m. I desperately wanted to go home for a couple of days before joining, so I asked the placement officer of our college Mr. Ramesh to get my intern postponed for a few days, but he was unwilling to do so and also tried convincing me for not trying for the same by not letting me know the contact details of the concerned person in the company. But since the intensity to go home was so much, I somehow got the contact no. of the HR of Tata Motors, Ms. Anjali Raghuvanshi. Now, here was my call whether to lay back and accept things to happen as they were happening or give it a try and call her, worse that could happen was she would say ‘No’, let the placement officer or the person I’ll be taking up my project under, know about it. But imagining a ‘Yes’ in itself was such a nice experience that it overshadowed all the negative consequences and I decided to call her. Incidentally, she happened to be an ex-student of ICFAI itself and I couldn’t have asked for a more feasible situation to talk to an HR than this. I was finally able to convince her for postponing my joining till 24th Feb. It was 4.30 p.m., the train’s ETD was 7.30 p.m. and at 6.45 p.m., I was on railway platform ( not to forget I packed all my luggage, got a top-up done of my mobile phone, tried getting cash through 2 ATMs though couldn’t (my ATM card got blocked), borrowed money from Anup, got bike’s tank filled with fuel, bought the railway ticket ( and you know how small the queues are ), fed some 100-150 bucks to the policeman to rescue the bike on the station (didn’t have registration papers)…huh..!! ). Anyways, what I want to say is that at 6.45 p.m I could have been sitting at my room calling up my family informing that I won’t be able to come home this time but just a step forward and one call to the HR and there I was..on railway platform waiting eagerly for the train to arrive (though it got late by 3.5 hours :P).
Now the second incidence which followed was just few hours after I got into train.
Obviously it was a general compartment and as usual spacious and comfortable :P, and I had long night to spend..so I was left with no other option but to sit down on train’s floor on the passage just beside the single side-window seat. I took out a book and started reading it. I don’t read books by placing fingers on every word and line but that day I was doing it, however quite soon I realized the fingers were not mine..a drunkard was sitting on the seat beside me and those were his auspicious fingers which were enlightening every word. Then every now and then he was leaning on me, almost unconscious and the intensity went on increasing. For sometime, I kept mumb but then again, it was the time to act smart and guess what, I stood up and asked him to feel comfortable and helped that guy to occupy my place, laid him down on the floor supine, stretched his legs and since I couldn’t ignore his indirect courteous gestures offering me his seat, I had to take it up. The funniest part is that he was so drunk that the next day when he woke up he didn’t even know that it was his seat I was sitting on and didn’t even ask me about it during the whole journey :P . So where on one place I could have spent the whole 24 hours journey sitting on the floor, I came comfortably sitting on the side-window seat.. just a right move at the right time :) .
Well, you see how things just happen..atleast it happened for me..These are some very general incidences and observations which could have been very well left undiscussed, unnoticed. But if a learning comes from these small incidences as well, then who is questioning..!!

5 Response to Things Just Happen..!!

Anonymous
May 8, 2009 at 2:39 AM

very well written!..only with small steps can big changes happen!

May 9, 2009 at 1:17 AM

@ alka
Thanx for the comment..wid such small comments only, big improvements can happen in ma writing skills..":P

Anonymous
June 18, 2009 at 12:21 AM

je baat! :P ;)

June 28, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Quite true and Interesting. These are the things which on introspection provides so much food for thought for us all.

Keep writin !

July 12, 2009 at 9:10 PM

@ Saju
Hey bro..Thnx for Honsla afjaahi..:P